2018-2019 Awards & Commendations
- City of San Jose District 3 2019 GALPU Outstanding Neighborhood Award, Presentation of a Commendation to Friends of Five Wounds Trail for advocating and preserving the historic Five Wounds trail and providing the most volunteers for the Great American Litter Pick Up, June 2019
- “Outstanding Experiential Education Program” that recognizes an outstanding K-12 or higher education institution that has demonstrated an exceptional commitment to experiential education in their classrooms or on their campuses, given by The National Society for Experiential Education (NSEE), May 2019
- Commendation to CommUniverCity from U.S. Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren for our longstanding support of community action and for our impact in “increasing the vibrancy and health of our communities”, presented at Celebrating Partnerships in April 2018.
2016-2017 Awards & Commendations
- “Healthy Worksite Award” given by the Santa Clara County Public Health Department, March 2017
- “American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences Award for Best Paper in a Track”
- “Academic Project Award” given by the Northern California section of the American Planning Association, June 2017
2015-2016 Awards & Commendations
- “C. Peter Magrath Engagement Scholarship Award” given by the Association of Public and Land Grant Universities (APLU), November 2015
- “Award of Excellence” in the category of Academic Award by 2016 APA California Northern Section Awards Program, May 2016
2013 Awards & Commendations
- “Bold Steps for Children” Award presented by Santa Clara Kids in Common , February 2013
- Recognized as a “Civic Gift” to San José by the San José Mercury News, December 2013
- Environmental Organization of the Year by Santa Clara League of Conservation Voters, October 2013
- Commendation from City of San José Mayor and Council to CommUniverCity’s Garden to Table program, presented at the State of the City Address, February 2013.
2006-2012 Awards & Commendations
- Commendation to CommUniverCity from Mayor Reed, Councilmember Sam Liccardo and the San José City Council for having served the Five Wounds/Brookwood Terrace community for six years, and completed more than 100,000 of community development work, valued at over $2 million, December 13, 2011.
- MetLife Foundation and Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC). National Community-Police Partnership Award, November 4, 2011.
- CommUniverCity was selected from a pool of more than 700 applicants for one of 10 MetLife Foundation honors, which recognize creative efforts to integrate policing with economic development.
- Project Cornerstone. Asset Champions Award in the Community Values Youth category, March 19, 2009.
- California Chapter of the American Planning Association, Meritorious Award for Outstanding Neighborhood Planning, June 2008.
- NeighborhoodsUSA Award: First Place for Social Revitalization, nationally recognizing the partnership between the City of San José, SJSU and the Five Wounds/Brookwood Terrace community, May 2008.
- Northern Section, California Chapter of the American Planning Association, Outstanding Planning Award for Neighborhood Planning, April 2008.
- Excellence in Neighborhood Leadership Award, City of San José and Neighborhood Housing Services Silicon Valley, 2007.
- Commendation from Vice Mayor Chavez, Mayor Gonzales and the San José City Council for work done at the April 22, 2006 Day of Service, June 27, 2006.
San José State University Recognition
- San José State University Distinguished Service Award for Dayana Salazar, Executive Director, April 2012.
- San José State University Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning: Collaborative Project: Family Fall Health Night, HS200, May 2008.
- San José State University Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning: Collaborative Project, Youth Planning Workshop, URBP201/203, May 2008.
- San José State University Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning: Special Recognition. CUC VISTA Leif Christiansen, May 2007.
- San José State University Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning: Collaborative Project. Olinder Elementary School Education Project, May 2007.
- San José State University Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning: Collaborative Project. CommUniverCity San José, May 4, 2006.
- San José State University Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning: Student Class, SJSU URBP 201-203, May 4, 2006.
- San José State University Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning: Student Team on CommUniverCity’s Community Mapping Project, May 4, 2006.