Last Wednesday, September 25, 2013, we attended the San José Planning Commission, and thanks to the support of our team from Urban Villages and Friends of Five Wounds Trail, and support of Plata Arroyo Neighborhood Association, and Save Our Trails, the Five Wounds Village plans–including our trail–were unanimously approved as part of the City of San José’s new Envision 2040 General Plan. There was little discussion during the Planning Commission meeting. The final approval by the City Council will be on Tuesday, October 22, 2013.
We also recently had our quarterly meeting with Friends of Five Wounds Trail, where Terry announced a change to our Five Wounds Trail plan. The Department of Transportation vetoed the trail plan at 23rd and William Street where the community had envisaged a realignment of 23rd Street to unify the little triangle of land at that site with the rest of the trail.
All four of these Urban Villages Plans may be viewed here.
In April 2013, we engaged 47 volunteers for a Trail Clean Up, resulting in 56 bags of trash removed from the Five Wounds Trail. We also participated in an August clean-up organized by Clean Creeks/Healthy Communities in partnership with Save Our Trails and the Downtown Streets Team with 34 volunteers who collected 55 bags of trash on the southern portion of Five Wounds Trail from Olinder Dog Park to the Coyote Creek trestle.
During our Trail Count on September 18, 2013, seven volunteers counted 82 trail users at the 24th Street intersection of the Five Wounds Trail as part of the city-wide trail count. Volunteers observed many children walking with their parents to school, and children carrying scooters because the trail was too rough to scoot. Stay informed for our next trail count.
Volunteer and help maintain the website and Facebook for Friends of Five Wounds Trail. Sign up by emailing Terry at: email@example.com.
Support to Assure Adoption of Five Wounds Village Plans and Trail
- San José City Council
- Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.
- San José City Hall Council Chambers, 200 E. Santa Clara St., San José, CA 95113
Friends of Five Wounds Trail Clean Up
- Saturday, October 12, 2013
- 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Email Terry Christensen at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 12, 2013 // 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Trail Clean Up
- October 22, 2013 // 7 p.m. City Council Considers Village Plans
- October 25, 2013 // 3-6 p.m. Safe Green Halloween, Martin Park by McKinley Elementary School
- October 26, 2013 // 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Spreading Bark on Three Creeks Trail
- February 2014, Friends of Five Wounds Trail Meeting
Leave a Reply